Support Drivers License bill now AND join us on 4/18
Posted Tue, 04/03/2012 - 8:58am
Dear friends of Migrant Justice,
We are writing to ask you to join us in our continued DRIVE TOWARDS HUMAN RIGHTS AND JUSTICE FOR ALL IN VT! S-238 passed with unanimous support in the Senate thanks to your support and an ad hoc alliance of farmworkers, farmers, human rights and food justice allies!
NOW WE'VE GOT TO MOVE S-238 THROUGH THE HOUSE!
Although, S-238 was changed into a study committee, we feel it creates a good ROAD MAP to drive towards justice and for access to drivers licenses regardless of immigration status in VT. For a great summary of our groundbreaking campaign go here.
What's next for the Driving Towards Justice Campaign?
1) Join us to ROCK THE HOUSE on 4/18 from 8:30-1pm for our 2nd State House day of Action to pass S-238 in the House. Register here.
2) TAKE ACTION ON APRIL 3rd and 4th! Please CALL the State House if you have representatives on the House Transportation Committee and let them know you support S-238. (see below)
3) Help us Win the BATTLE OF THE STORY in the media! WRITE Letters to the Editor. Educate the Press! (see below)
*Check out this letter to the editor from Migrant Justice farm worker leader José for inspiration
4) Join us on May 1st in Montpelier for the PUT PEOPLE FIRST MARCH AND RALLY! We will be organizing a food justice contingent and need your help!
*Come by our office on Saturday 4/21 for a day of arts, education and creation for May 1st.
1) Join us to ROCK THE HOUSE on 4/18 from 8:30-1pm for our 2nd State House Day of Action to pass S-238 in the House.
More information and pre-register here.
Join migrant workers, farmers, human rights and food justice allies on 4/18 at the State House to show your Representatives that we support drivers licenses and IDs for all Vermonters, regardless of immigration status!
2) TAKE ACTION ON APRIL 3rd and 4TH! Please CALL your Representatives on the House Transportation Committee and let them know you support S-238. (see below)
The House Transportation Committee will be taking testimony on S-238 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Migrant Justice and allies are lined up to testify. ADD YOUR VOICE BY CALLING THE SERGEANT OF ARMS (802-828-2228) (or toll free 1- 800-322- 5616) ALL DAY TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY IF YOU HAVE REPS ON THE HOUSE TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE.
You can LEAVE A MESSAGE SAYING:
"Thank you for listening to Vermont farm workers, farmers, and allies about the importance of S-238. Please support S-238 as passed by the Senate. It's a great road map for public safety, human rights, and healthy farms."
House Transportation Committee Members: Brennan of Colchester, Chair, Potter of Clarendon, Vice Chair, Corcoran of Bennington, Ranking Member, Aswad of Burlington, Bissonnette of Winooski, Bohi of Hartford,Burke of Brattleboro, Courcelle of Rutland City, Clerk, Howard of Cambridge, Lanpher of Vergennes, Peaslee of Guildhall
3) Help us Win the Battle of the Story in the media! Write letters to the editor!
We need to show a groundswell of support for S-238. But there have already been some negative opinion pieces on this issue.
Help create a more humane and thoughtful dialogue about immigration in Vermont; let's keep shaping public debate in a positive light. CHECK OUT THIS LETTER IN RESPONSE WRITTEN BY JOSE, ONE OF OUR FARM WORKER COORDINATING COMMITTEE MEMBERS, FOR INSPIRATION.
- List of Local Newspapers for Letters to the Editor
- NEW AND IMPROVED S-238 TALKING POINTS AND UPDATED 'IMMIGRATION MYTHS AND REALITIES' TO SUPPORT YOUR LETTERS
- Help us track media coverage - please email us at email@example.com when your letter is published.
4. Join us on May 1st in Montpelier for the PUT PEOPLE FIRST MARCH AND RALLY! We will be organizing a food justice contingent and need your help!
Migrant Justice is co-sponsoring the May 1st rally this year and looking to build solidarity between all folks who work in the food system. We want our presence in Montpelier to SHOW Solidarity from farm to plate.
We envision lots of color, signs, banners, and creative power to tell our story of FOOD JUSTICE IN VT! Help us make this happen on Saturday 4/21 at our office in Burlington for a day of arts, education and creation for May 1st.
Let us know if you can help! firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-658-6770
Migrant Justice / Justicia Migrante